How-to: Use your computer to receive your mobile phone calls via the hands-free/headset profile using Bluetooth (Symbian)

Difficulty: 2.5

image018Would you like to see who is calling your mobile on your PC? Are you in an environment where your phone has to be silent? Do you miss calls?

This walk through will show you how to connect your Symbian Smart-phone to your Windows XP PC via Bluetooth. This is likely to work for most Bluetooth phones and all operating systems that support Bluetooth though the method will be slightly different on other platforms.

There are heaps of fun and interesting things you can do with Bluetooth. Check out some of my other How-To’s and have a play.

Bluetooth has many services which you can use. For this How-to I am only going to focus on the hands-free service, although part of this process is the pairing of the devices. Each Bluetooth device offers only a few services but all smart-phones I have seen offer the hands-free service.

exclimationNot all bluetooth adaptors will allow for the use of the hands-free service. It works with my Belkin adaptor but it has not been possible on some laptops I have come across. To find out if your PC is capable, open up “My computer”, click “My Bluetooth Places”, click “View my Bluetooth Services”. Look for Hands-free or Headset profile and you should be alright. This may also be dependent on your drivers.

One of the drawbacks with Bluetooth is that it drains the battery of your device whilst it is switched on. My batteries lose power twice as fast with it on and connected to another device. This is slightly annoying but if you are willing to charge your phone every 1-2 days, you will be fine. You probably have these features, so you may as well see if you can use them.

What you need:

• Symbian Bluetooth handset.
    • I will be using a Nokia N70 running Symbian 8.1
  • PC/Laptop running Windows XP
    • Up to date, Service Pack 2 is probably required
  • Bluetooth built-in to your laptop or a Bluetooth USB Adaptor.
    • These are available in most IT shops and range in price greatly. I use a Belkin Bluetooth USB Adaptor – Model F8T013 I bought at Harvey Norman. No name brand adaptors can be found at local computer shops for around $20, though I have no idea if these will offer the hands-free service.

I am assuming drivers have been installed on the computer for the Bluetooth ready PC or Laptop.

Pairing the Smart-phone with your Computer.

In order to use the headset service we first need to pair the Smart-phone with your computer. This enables the Bluetooth communication between the two devices.

On your Symbian Smart-phone, tap on the following buttons

Press the Menu Button

image001Press “Connect”

image002

Press “Bluetooth”

image003Ensure that Bluetooth is turned on.
It is important to have visibility “Shown to all” during the pairing process.

image004Press to the right to see paired devices. The list is likely to come up blank.

image005Press “Select” and “New paired device”
After a few moments you will be shown the Devices Found. Highlight your PC and

image006

Press “Select”

Your Smart-phone will now ask you to enter a passkey. This is a code that you put in to allow for a secure connection between your Smart-phone and your computer. You make this key up in most cases and if you do forget it in the future, you can re-pair the devices. They are usually 4 characters long and numeric. I usually use 1234 or 9876. I don’t see there being huge security issues here but if you have sensitive data on your Smart-phone you may want to look into Bluetooth security.

image007Enter your passkey, e.g. 1234 or 2435
And then press “OK”

image008Your PC will request the Passkey. Click on the bubble pop-up

image009Enter your Passkey and Press OK

image010

You should see that your connection is successful. Icon will change to aqua.

image011Select “Yes”. You can control this easily by turning Bluetooth on and off if “Yes” is selected.

image012

You should now see your PC in the Paired devices screen.

Setting your Computer as the Hands-free device

image013In the options menu, select “connect” and after a few moments your PC will work as your headset.

image014If all has gone to plan you will now be able to accept calls to your mobile through your PC. When the mobile is dialled a pop-up will appear down the bottom right of the screen offering you the number

Not only that, if you click on the bubble you will be given the option to Accept or Reject the call.

image015

If you connect your computer to a microphone and headphones you can have your conversation using your computer whilst your phone is in another room. There is a whole world of things that can be done using the hands-free service. Using your PC to record phone calls is easy to achieve and sometimes useful.

Your smart-phone should reconnect automatically when you are near the computer, my computer reconnects with my phones automatically saving me from having to manually set hands free.

I hope that you have found this How-to useful and that you will check out some of my other How-to’s at Inspect My Gadget.

20 Comments so far »

1. K I said, on January 13, 2008 @ 8:25 am

Nice, this could come in handy.

I was interested in doing this the other way around. Use my phone to receive calls on skype if I’m downstairs and I’m not in front of my computer.

I’ve got an N73 so no wifi. So… bluetooth?

2. Chris Duckworth said, on January 14, 2008 @ 8:06 am

K I, Bluetooth may reach, depending on the dongle on your computer. Once you have connected your phone via Bluetooth, you should be able to set bluetooth as your speaker and microphone sources, in theory. This would need to be changed back manualy when your phone is not nearby.

3. robert said, on April 23, 2008 @ 7:54 pm

hi..can you please help me on how to download free bluetooth device for my computer..my computer has no built-in bluetooth..thanks

4. Chris Duckworth said, on April 24, 2008 @ 1:50 pm

robert, You may want to check out this article.

You can get the drivers for hardware for free, but you require a hardware dongle. These are often built into laptops, but if you have a desktop, chances are you will need to buy one. They can be found for < $20. If your phone doesn’t have Bluetooth, you will need to buy a new phone, though many phones do contain Bluetooth these days.

5. Nikita said, on May 12, 2008 @ 10:43 pm

Hi
    I did it all and it is working. the only problem i have is that the PC auto-answer every incomming call immediatly. i can’t find the place to chanfe this behavior.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nikita

6. Antony Dennis said, on June 17, 2008 @ 1:25 am

Thanks for this very useful article. I tried it out but didn’t get the “Connect” option in the Options menu on my N73. I also have the BlueSpace software on my PC but that does not have an option to connect for audio. Any thoughts on how to make it work?

Thanks!

7. Chris Duckworth said, on June 17, 2008 @ 6:55 pm

Hey Antony, Is bluespace another bluetooth stack? It may be worth tryin a diferent stack. I wouldn’t like to suggest this in your case though as bluespace may have more features than the widcomm stack.

Does your phone have an option for handsfree or audio, but they are greyed out? If your phon has them greyed out, you can assume the phone is capable bu the computer is not offering it. If the phone does not have it, then you are probably looking at the phone not being capable. I doubt this with it being an n73, as the n70 does work.

I don’t know how much I can help you. Our set ups ae quite different. In your bluetooth settings in control panel, you should be able to see the available services. Look for headset and audio gateway. Hopefully this information will help you narrow down where the problem is.

8. sadhu said, on July 10, 2008 @ 11:33 pm

I tried to setup on nokia n95. My phone does not have the “connect” option.

Is there another way around ?

9. Batuk Bhikadiya said, on December 7, 2008 @ 4:56 am

Hello sir,

I want to make call from pc via mobile.
    Please try to send me the solution.

10. Chris Duckworth said, on December 7, 2008 @ 9:21 am

Hi Batuk, there is not a perfct way to do it, but there are a few methods that come close. You may be able to set your phone up as a modem via bluetooth. In Outlook contacts, you can call numbers this way. Otherwise, if you use a tool like mymobiler(windows mobile), you can dial numbers from your desktop as you see the phones screen on your computer.

11. Paul said, on March 7, 2009 @ 5:16 am

At my office I use Outlook to make calls using my desk phone’s data port. I would like to us Outlook at home to make calls. Is there a way to use a bluetooth headset via Outlook to dial, then speak and hear the conversation vie the headset?

12. Chris Duckworth said, on March 17, 2009 @ 9:23 am

Hi Paul,
    There would need to be a phone in the setup somewhere. You would connect the phone to your computer via Bluetooth as a modem, and then the headset to the phone. It is going to be fiddly. Depending on the phone, you may not be able to connect multiple devices to the phone at the same time.
    Alternatively, you could use a modem installed in the computer, or buy one. Then connect the Bluetooth headset to the computer. Set the default audio devices to the headet.
    I haven’t tried either of these out so I may be missing a crucial point. I know you could use a voice modem to dial numbers from Outlook. Then use a pc headset plugge dinto the modem. I do this at home… I just don’t ever use this feature.

13. Reapo said, on March 25, 2009 @ 2:40 am

I can’t get it to work with my laptop. Do you think there is a problem that I have Vista? I was able to connect it, but when someone calls me, I don’t get anything on my laptop. Can anyone help?

14. b0 said, on July 3, 2009 @ 11:59 am

I’m trying to get this working as well (N97). There isn’t a “Connect” option in the Bluetooth menu.

Any idea what else I could try?

15. b0 said, on July 4, 2009 @ 12:26 pm

Thanks for deleting my comment… may there be poo in your cereal.

16. Chris Duckworth said, on July 4, 2009 @ 1:01 pm

It wasn’t deleted. I was trying to find out what could be causing it so I could give you a proper response over the weekend, but now I dont care.

17. Joseph said, on October 13, 2009 @ 7:02 pm

Hi, please could you advise me on another way out, apart from using bluetooth, how i can connect my mobile phone to my PC and receive and make calls via my PC. What cables & phones do i need to make this possible, i have Nokia 5110 but has a problem with the ear & month peace. please advise.

Kind Regards

Joseph

18. Husnain said, on February 28, 2011 @ 7:22 am

Hi,

Can i play the sound from my laptop (Sony, Vaio) using windows7, via bluetooth, to my N97 (S60).

I have connected my speaker with N97 in other room and don’t wana connect wired speaker with it.

I have also recvd some kind of error while connect N97 via Bluetooth may be windows7 doesn’t support or what, i would be thankful if you explain why that bluetooth gives error when connected with laptop.

Please help me i m stuck…. and don’t wana purchase wireless speaker……

Reply me waiting.

Thanks,
    husnain
    skhzaidi@gmail.com

19. Anurag O_x said, on March 5, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

This trick Only can Done By LENEVO Blue tooth Driver …. I am Using HP Pavilion DV-5 When i was installed the lenevo driver , At that time my OEM information changed, and that cause so many driver Problem in my PC … if any one know about developed version of Blue tooth driver for HP then please Post the link to me salu@in.com … HP doesnt Provide such kind of user interface with s60 …

Those who have LENELO and using OS windows 7 32-bit they can Update there driver from the given link and They can You There MOBILE CALL and SMS in There PC …

20. HUSNAIN said, on March 8, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

Thanks Mr. Anurag O_x but not getting in a way… what i am getting is that you are saying that uninstall my SONY VAIO blue tooth drive and install LENOVO blue tooth drive ? this is what you mean?

But in this case how can i install LENOVO bluetooth drive in SONY VAIO? can you please explain in a simply and easy way? i am not expert… please explain … thanks.