IMG Quickie: Delay your email with Outlook 2003

Difficulty: 0.5

EmailThere are many reasons why you may want to send an email at a particular time. You may want to catch the recipient at the time you know they check their emails so your email is at the top of their list, or you might be out of the office at the time you want to send a message. Many email packages allow you to set the time the email will be sent to the recipients but today we look at Outlook 2003.

Delivery

When you start a new message, click on options and look at the delivery options section. All you need to do is set the time and date. Fill out the rest of the email and press send, your computer will look after the rest. Depending on what system you are on, it is best to leave your computer on so that the computer can send the message as it is meant to.

6 comments so far »

1. Chris Cornwall said, on July 6, 2008 @ 3:09 am

I have tried this several times, and have left outlook open and my computer running, but the message remains in the Outbox after the “Do not deliver before” date and time have gone by. Even if I then click on “Send/Receive” the message just stays in my Outbox indefinitely.

2. Chris Duckworth said, on July 6, 2008 @ 3:41 pm

Chris, I don’t know why it isn’t working for you. It looks straigtforward to setup, but then when it dosn’t work, it’s disappointing. I looked at Outlook 2007 and 2003 to see if they would work for me. They worked. I looked around to see if there was a need to be on an Exchange server for it to work. There didn’t seem to be any special requirements to get this going. The only other thing I can think of is to ensure that the computers clock is set correctly. Slim chances of that being wrong!

3. Chris Cornwall said, on July 6, 2008 @ 8:19 pm

Thanks, Chris, for getting back to me. I cannot figure out why it won’t work either. The mysterious thing is, if i send a test message to myself, it works fine. But if I try to send a delayed message to people in my address book, they just stay forever in my Outbox. But if this is the worst thing that happens to me this year, I really can’t complain! Cheers!

4. hayley davis said, on September 11, 2008 @ 12:42 am

try setting up a rule to delay messages just to see if that works you can do this from the tools option.

5. Saul said, on December 23, 2009 @ 6:23 am

Has anyone found a fix to this? I have the same issue, messages just sit in the Outbox forever.

6. AnthonyP said, on July 11, 2010 @ 5:56 pm

As you noted, this only works while you’re logged on – the moment you log off – the funtion doesn’t work so no good if you wish to send an e-mail while on leave unless you leave the computer on for the duration of your hols.

Bit useless really – could have been so much better if it delayed it on the mailserver.