Drive Partitioning made easy with Easeus Partition Manager Home Edition

EaseuspmThere are a number of programs that will allow for easy creation or resizing of drive partitions. Even Windows XP and Vista will let you do this in its disk management utility. However, these free options are not as easy to use as some of the commercial options, and they lack some fairly important features. Until recent times, I did not know of any free programs that would resize a partition and leave the data intact. Vista will do it now, but it is a bit of a challenge.

For many years I have been using Partition Magic as it was the only program that I could find that would resize partitions without losing data. This feature is very important when adding a partition to a computer that is running well. It could save you from needing to resinstall the whole system. Partition Magic is a commercial program which is hard to justify a purchase of, as you may only use it once or twice each year.

EaseUs Partition Manager Home Edition has been labelled a “free replacement for Partition Magic”, and rightly so. The interface is very similar to the popular Partition Magic, and it contains many of the same features.

Features include:

• Disk resizing without data loss
  • Disk and partition copying
  • Setting partitions active or hidden
  • Disk Labeling
  • Easy to use interface
  • Everything else most people could ever want

This tool is a long saught after tool for those who do a lot of partitioning. Now the job of trying out Linux, or installing XP on a factory installed Vista machine is a lot less daunting, and dare I say it – even enjoyable.

Important Update: Ensure you turn off hibernation and sleep modes before running this program. If it enters these modes while the program is running, you may find your computer is unbootable. Most other tools of this nature run in DOS mode where sleep or hibernate is not a feature, hence not a problem.

Partition Manager has a commercial version available for people who would like a few extra features, but the home version is free and does everything reported in this article. Grab your copy from Partition-Tool.

7 comments so far »

1. jim said, on January 12, 2009 @ 12:45 pm

This is perfect. I dual-boot XP and Vista.

I used Gparted once but it screwed up my system when I booted into Vista (took a few hours on google and messing with the registry to fix). Although of course that was two years ago and problem is probably fixed.

I’m about to install Windows 7.0 and needed another partition. Thanks for writing about this.

2. jim said, on January 12, 2009 @ 3:59 pm

Nevermind, few hours later, I find I’m completely wrong.

I resized a few partitions and made some space for Windows 7.0.

While the program was shrinking/moving/creating partitions, my computer went to sleep.

I restart, and boom, 120GB all gone.
    I do not recommend this program.

3. Chris Duckworth said, on January 12, 2009 @ 5:32 pm

Hi Jim, I am really sorry to hear that. I am surprised the program didn’t restrict sleep mode from happening. I wonder if it would have come good if the power button was pressed instead. Any way you look at it, your situation is bad news.

I promise that this program worked well for me in my testing, otherwise I wouldn’t of published it. I took a 30gb chunk out of a 400GB drive. I don’t have sleep modes activated though.

4. jim said, on January 12, 2009 @ 6:38 pm

Its ok, no problem. Just wanted to let it out there.

I lost only about 2 week’s worth of data, which although was 50GB, is actually not too bad. I thought my whole system was forever gone.

I think I’ll stick with gparted and Vista’s built in partitioner.

5. Mikko said, on March 5, 2009 @ 1:57 pm

I can confirm that the program goes to sleep mode during operation. Luckily I used it on a test system so I didn’t lose any data. Suppose you could just switch off energy saving mode, but that’s not the point. Cannot recommend this program.

6. Steve said, on September 30, 2009 @ 11:15 am

Their latest home versions no longer support x64 versions of windows for free. If you’re lucky enough to have kept one of the original versions (like me) you can still use it and it’s also easily made portable. I’m using version 1.6.4 if you’re lucky you might find it on the net somewhere. It’s great for keeping on a thumbdrive!

7. server partition manager said, on February 18, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

I prefer to Partition Wizard Home Editiion. It supports both 32 & 64 bit Windows. Including Windows 7.